About Project Drawdown
The World’s Leading Resource for Climate Solutions
Project Drawdown is a nonprofit organization that seeks to help the world reach “Drawdown”— the future point in time when levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere stop climbing and start to steadily decline. Since the 2017 publication of the New York Times bestseller Drawdown, the organization has emerged as a leading resource for information and insight about climate solutions. Cities, universities, corporations, philanthropies, policymakers, communities, educators, activists, and more turn to Project Drawdown, as they look to advance effective climate action. We aim to support the growing constellation of efforts to move climate solutions forward and move the world toward Drawdown—as quickly, safely, and equitably as possible.
See The Drawdown Review—2020 for the latest update to our work.
Project Drawdown is hiring a new Director of Marketing & Communication — a senior leader in the organization focused on overseeing, coordinating, and implementing our broad communication portfolio, as well as managing the overall Drawdown brand.
We are looking for a seasoned leader who can manage and execute a wide array of communication activities, each blending sophisticated content with powerful platforms.
Our work to date includes efforts in print (including a New York Times best-selling book), on social media (at @ProjectDrawdown), on the web (at drawdown.org), and our new signature publication, available both digitally and in print, The Drawdown Review. The Director of Marketing & Communication will help coordinate these efforts, while looking to dramatically increase their reach and impact.
In addition, the Director will help us develop additional communication products, including more educational materials, a new series of technical briefs and primers, a new emphasis on solutions storytelling, and new video and multimedia content. We also anticipate building partnerships to amplify our reach dramatically.
We also seek a leader who can help maintain, build, and enhance the overall Drawdown brand in a changing landscape. We seek someone who will coordinate our efforts with outside partners, media outlets, journalists, and public relations firms.
As a small organization with a big mission, we seek a Director will can oversee many simultaneous projects and meet multiple deadlines, while maintaining a high level of creativity, collaboration, and excellence. Prior experience in climate or environmental issues is not a requirement, but eagerness to learn and engage is.
The Director of Marketing & Communication will report to the Executive Director of Project Drawdown and collaborate closely with other senior leaders in the organization. The Director of Marketing & Communication will also manage a small team of freelancers and consultants.
Project Drawdown welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in helping the world reach Drawdown quickly, safely, and equitably. We are a 100% remote organization based in the U.S. Candidates currently authorized to work in the United States (US Citizens, green card holders, and work visa holders), who reside anywhere within the US may apply.
The Director of Marketing & Communication will:
- Oversee, manage, and evolve Project Drawdown’s overall brand
- Enhance and grow the reach and reputation of Project Drawdown
- Oversee and manage Project Drawdown’s communication platforms (e.g., social, web, print), coordinate the release of Project Drawdown’s many different communication products, and Project Drawdown’s key communication-related partnerships
- Help us develop new communication platforms, tools, and products
- Coordinate a complex array of communication needs for Project Drawdown, working with senior leaders across the organization
- Oversee freelancers, editors, fact-checkers, photographers, videographers, digital strategists, designers, etc.
- Manage the core Drawdown website and social media channels
- Coordinate with outside media and communication partners
- Manage incoming enquiries from media, stakeholders, and partners
- Fulfill other tasks as requested
Education and/or Experience
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following education and/or equivalent experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (required) or Master’s degree in relevant field of communication, marketing, journalism, or other areas
- Proven record of success in leading a communication team, and working across a larger organization
- 5+ years of experience in organizational communication and marketing
- 5+ years of experience in project management and content production
- Strong technical experience with modern communication tools – including website development, content management, publishing workflows, social media management, web and social media analytics, etc.
- Strong editorial background — with demonstrable writing and editing skills
- Experience working with outside consultants and freelancers
- Impeccable organizational skills, thoroughness, and ability to multitask in a fluid environment
- Background in climate or sustainability is helpful but not required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The qualifications listed here are necessary to perform this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Experience coordinating and managing a wide variety of communication platforms and projects, across a broad organization
- Experience developing an organizational communication plan, as well as implementing / executing it
- Ability to develop and enhance the reach, impact, reputation, and value proposition of a non-profit organization
- Ability to lead a team of communication professionals and consultants
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple workflows on deadline
- Excellent written, speaking / presentation, and interpersonal communication skills to engage effectively within the organization and with external collaborators / stakeholders
- Flexibility, creativity, and tenacity
- Fluency in English
As with all positions at Project Drawdown, this one will be 100% remote. Employees can work anywhere within the United States. Candidates currently authorized to work in the United States (US Citizens, green card holders, and work visa holders), who reside anywhere within the US may apply.
This is a full-time position with benefits. We work hard to ensure our salaries are competitive with similar leading nonprofits in major cities across America. In addition, Project Drawdown provides exceptional benefits including 4 weeks PTO (plus 6 sick days and 13 holidays/holiday closure), health/dental/vision insurance premiums 100% paid for the employees, and matching 401k. We will share compensation package details with candidates we invite into our interview process.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete our online application form. All candidates will need to upload a cover letter, their most recent resume, as well as work samples as described below:
- Cover letter that creatively communicates who you are and your interest in this role
- Resume detailing your professional and educational background
- Portfolio of 3-5 pieces of your best communication and marketing work (please include any links or critical context about your role, if applicable)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning September 4th, 2020, until the position has been filled.
Project Drawdown is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Project Drawdown does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by law, and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. We strongly encourage all qualified persons worldwide to apply for this position. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and the organization’s need.
Position Description PDF
For more information contact us at email@example.com.